Who We Are
This summer, 72 rising juniors and seniors from the DC, Boston, New York, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Newark metropolitan areas will attend the Yleana Leadership Academy, hosted at Colgate University and Siena College, both in upstate NY. After the success of last year's inaugural year, we will expand to run two programs:
- June 28-July 19, 2014 at Colgate University in Hamilton, NY
- July 19-August 9, 2014 at Colgate University and Siena College in Loudonville, NY
Our program is free to all participants; room, board, and all program-related fees (including transportation to and from New York) will be covered by our endowment.
The program consists of four core components:
- a comprehensive SAT program to maximize students' scores
- a college advising/mentorship program to help them develop strategic college application plans, write their college essays, and have a basic acquaintance with the issues that they will come to consider as young people
- a cutting-edge leadership program focused on negotiation and entrepreneurship
- a traditional summer experience enjoying nature, roasting marshmallows, going to see movies, playing volleyball and dodgeball and ultimate frisbee on the lawn, and coming together as a community.
Students will live full time at Colgate and Siena, sleeping in dormitories, eating with their peers, participating in athletic and social events, and going on cultural excursions. We seek not only to give students the scores and tools to make college a tangible reality, but also to create a thriving community. Resident advisors who double as teachers will live with the students, helping them manage a new environment and inspiring them with the advisors' own tales of college success. We will have at least one staff member for every 7 students. Staff members will consist of experienced instructors, assistant teachers, adjunct teachers, and mentors—recent Yleana alumni, now transitioning out of the college admissions process and into attending college, will counsel our students and design non-academic programming.
When the program ends, students will return to their respective homes and schools armed with a clear schedule for both SAT study and college application building. They will continue to meet weekly with Yleana teachers and mentors in their areas to study the SAT and keep themselves fresh for the upcoming tests. As we observed in 2013, they also continue to reach out socially (to Yleana staff and each other!) and for help on college essays and applications. This posterity program is designed to ensure that the work we do over the summer has a measurable and lasting impact on our students' futures.